Undergraduate Professional Program
Deadline: May 16 (Fall Semester) and December 1 (Spring Semester) (In the event that a deadline falls upon a weekend or a university holiday, that deadline will move to the first workday following the posted date.)
Please Note: The Fall Semester application deadline has been extended to June 11.
Award Amount: WiSE Professional Program Fellows receive $500 per semester to participate in the WiSE Professional Programming Series.
Directions: Submit online application.
The goal of this program is to offer undergraduates professional development training and experiences to prepare them for successful careers in STEM fields. “WiSE Professional Fellows” submit an application describing their interests and objectives in participating in the program. Once accepted, they receive a small stipend of $500 per semester and commit to attending a variety of programming opportunities aimed especially at preparing a CV/resume, writing an effective cover letter, interview preparation, elevator pitches, negotiations, etc..
- All students must be currently enrolled at USC on a full-time basis (at least 12 units) during the semester in which they receive the award.
- To participate as WiSE Professional Program Fellows, students must be enrolled full time and have declared a major in one of the degree programs offered by the departments of Biological Sciences, Chemistry, Earth Sciences, Mathematics, Physics & Astronomy or the academic departments in the Viterbi School of Engineering.
Applications must be completed and submitted via the online system of the WiSE website. The deadlines for application submission are May 16 and December 1. In the event that these dates fall upon a weekend or a University Holiday the deadline will move to the first workday following the posted date. A completed application must contain:
- A Personal Statement describing the student’s interests and desire to participate in the WiSE Programming Series. Students should address what they hope to gain in participating in the program, and should state that they commit to attending at minimum one program per month during the semester in which they are designated a WiSE Professional Fellow.
- Unofficial transcript (or STARS report). (Submitted as a pdf)
Selection Process and Criteria: The WiSE USC Dornsife Committee is composed of faculty from across USC Dornsife College WiSE-eligible departments. The WiSE Viterbi School Committee is composed of faculty from across the Viterbi School of Engineering. Key considerations for Fellows include the student’s stated interest in the program and how the student’s participation will serve to increase the representation of women in science and engineering. Previous student recipients are welcome to re-apply for additional funding, but preference is given to new applicants if other factors are equivalent.
Responsibilities of Student Participants:
- Fellows are expected to attend a minimum of one WiSE Programming Event per month during the semester in which they receive the subsidy.
- WiSE Fellows will receive $500 per semester to participate in the WiSE Undergraduate Professional Experience Programming Track. For questions regarding financial aid, please contact the Financial Aid Office at 213-740-1111. Please see your own tax advisor for information about reporting Fellowship income and paying income taxes.
- For more information please contact the WiSE Program Office at 213-740-0996 or email@example.com.