- The WiSE Undergraduate Research Experience was established to familiarize students with laboratory research and to link them with a mentor early on.
- Students must be currently enrolled at USC on a full-time basis (at least 12 units) during the semester in which they receive the award.
- Students must have declared a major in one of the degree programs in the Viterbi School of Engineering.
- Applications must be completed and submitted via the online system of the WiSE website. The deadlines for application submission are May 16 and December 1. In the event that these dates fall upon a weekend or a University Holiday the deadline will move to the first workday following the posted date.
- A Personal Statement describing the student’s interest in research and desire to participate in the WiSE Programming Series. Students should address what they hope to gain in participating in the program, and should state that they commit to attending at minimum one program per month during the semester in which they are designated a WiSE Fellow.
- Unofficial transcript (or STARS report).
Selection Process and Criteria:
- The WiSE Viterbi School Committee is composed of faculty from across the Viterbi School of Engineering. Key considerations for Fellows include the student’s stated interest in research and how the student’s participation will serve to increase the representation of women in science and engineering. Previous student recipients are welcome to re-apply for additional funding, but in the interest of facilitating entry into research, preference is given to new applicants if other factors are equivalent.
Responsibilities of Student Participants:
- Fellows are expected to attend a minimum of one WiSE Programming Event per month during the semester in which they receive the subsidy.
- WiSE Fellows will receive $500 per semester to participate in the WiSE Undergraduate Research Experience Programming Track. As with any income, the award will be considered as taxable income by federal and state agencies. For questions regarding financial aid, please contact the Financial Aid Office at 213-740-1111. Please see your own tax advisor for information about reporting Fellowship income and paying income taxes.
- For more information please contact the WiSE Program Office at 213-740-0996 or email@example.com.