- The WiSE Undergraduate Research Experience was established to familiarize students with laboratory research and to link them with a mentor early on.
- All students must be currently enrolled at USC on a full-time basis (at least 12 units) during the semester in which they receive the award.
- To participate as WiSE Fellows, students must be enrolled full time and have declared a major in one of the degree programs offered by the departments of Biological Sciences, Chemistry, Earth Sciences, Mathematics, or Physics & Astronomy.
Applications must be completed and submitted via the online system of the WiSE website. The deadlines for application submission are May 16 and December 1. In the event that these dates fall upon a weekend or a University Holiday the deadline will move to the first workday following the posted date. A completed application must contain:
- A Personal Statement describing the student’s interest in research and desire to participate in the WiSE Programming Series. Students should address what they hope to gain in participating in the program, and should state that they commit to attending at minimum one program per month during the semester in which they are designated a WiSE Fellow.
- Unofficial transcript (or STARS report). (Submitted as either a pdf or Word Document.)
Selection Process and Criteria:
- The WiSE USC Dornsife Committee is composed of faculty from across USC Dornsife College WiSE-eligible departments. Key considerations for Fellows include the student’s stated interest in research. Previous student recipients are welcome to re-apply for additional funding, but in the interest of facilitating entry into research, preference is given to new applicants if other factors are equivalent.
Responsibilities of Student Participants:
- Fellows are expected to attend a minimum of one WiSE Programming Event per month during the semester in which they receive the subsidy.
- WiSE Fellows will receive $500 per semester to participate in the WiSE Undergraduate Research Experience Programming Track. For questions regarding financial aid, please contact the Financial Aid Office at 213-740-1111. Please see your own tax advisor for information about reporting Fellowship income and paying income taxes.
- For more information please contact the WiSE Program Office at 213-740-0996 or firstname.lastname@example.org.