WiSE Gabilan Assistant Professorship
The Gabilan Assistant Professorship is one of the recruitment tools provided by the WiSE program and is awarded to new faculty as part of the start-up package, as well as current junior faculty nominated for exemplary performance. In certain disciplines named professorships for junior faculty add prestige to the appointment and may leverage additional funding and awards. The most important criterion to be used in awarding the professorship is the excellence of the candidate. Other criteria include advancing the goals of the WiSE program and reducing the under-representation of women. The exact way in which the funds are distributed can be flexible and the details negotiated by the dean and the WiSE program director.
Guidelines for Appointment:
- Goal: To aid in recruiting outstanding junior faculty who will increase the representation of women in science and engineering at USC and to advance their careers towards tenure.
- Amount: Awards would typically range between $10-25K per year for three years, with a possibility for renewal for two additional years, or until the recipient received tenure, whichever comes first.
The most important criterion is the excellence of the candidate. The Department Chair (or appropriate Section or Program Head) must make the case that the candidate is at the top of the cohort of applicants in the specific field of the application and would be deserving of such honor at any top ranked university in the US. Supplementary materials that can be used in making a compelling case for the excellence of the candidate include, but are not limited to, letters of recommendation, other honors and evidence of excellence, competitive offers, etc. The Chair should also address how the recruitment will advance the goals of the WiSE program.
Because time is important in junior appointments, during the recruitment process the Director of the WiSE Program will make the decision expeditiously, in consultation with members of the Advisory Board as appropriate. An ad hoc committee, comprised of senior faculty from various WiSE-eligible departments and the WiSE Advisory Board, will review renewal applications as well as new nominations and make recommendations to the WiSE Director. Chairs are encouraged to consult with the Director of the WiSE Program on the criteria for granting the Gabilan Assistant Professsorship and the supplemental materials that would be useful in making the case.
Current and Past WiSE Gabilan Jr. Chairs
- Cristina Zaveleta, Biomedical Engineering (2017-)
- Shaama Sharada, Chemical Engineering and Materials Science (2017-)
- Lindsey Schier, Biological Sciences (2017-)
- Dina El-Damak, Electrical Engineering (2016-)
- Alejandra Uranga, Viterbi SoE, Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering (2016-)
- Eun Ji Chung, Viterbi SoE, Biomedical Engineering (2016-)
- Aleksandra Korolova, Viterbi SoE, Computer Sciences (2015- )
- Carolyn Phillips, USC Dornsife, Biological Sciences, (2014-)
- Nora Ayanian, Viterbi SoE, Computer Sciences (2013-)
- Megan McCain, Viterbi SoE, Biomedical (2013-)
- Smaranda Marinescu, USC Dornsife, Chemistry (2013-)
- Irene Chiolo, USC Dornsife, Biological Sciences (2013-)
- Naomi Levine, USC Dornsife, Biological Sciences (2013-)
- Stacey Finley, Viterbi SoE, Biomedical (2013-)
- Sami Assaf, USC Dornsife, Mathematics (2012-)
- Michelle Povinelli, Viterbi SoE, Electrical (2008-)
- Michelle Arbeitman, USC Dornsife, Biology (2003-2011)